Cancer is a scary thing. I bet you know at least one person in your life who has had to undergo radiation, chemotherapy or had a “suspicious” lump/spot removed. Over the years I have gone to the dermatologist to have my moles checked… and I have had several removed. Luckily, all of them have been normal. My mother was not so lucky, her moles where fine but her mammogram showed abnormalities. Last year she was diagnosed with breast cancer.With surgery and aggressive radiation, she is cancer free. Breast cancer was a wake up call to our entire family. You never think it’s going to happen to you, but you never know. So what can you do to protect yourself? Visit your doctor regularly for check ups, wear sunscreen, we clothing with UV protection, etc.
8 Facts About Skin Cancer:
- More than 90% of skin cancer is caused by sun exposure.
- Each hour, 1 person dies from skin cancer.
- Skin cancer accounts for more than 50% of all cancers combined.
- More than two million cases of skin cancer will be diagnosed this year.
- Skin cancer is most deadly for African Americas, Asians, and Latinos.
- 1 in 5 Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer sometime in their life.
- One bad burn in childhood doubled the risk factor for melanoma later in life.
- Men are diagnosed with skin cancer more often than women.***Taken from UV Skinz brochure
I have fair skin and so do my kids and husband. When we are out in the sun we slather on the sunscreen and reapply when needed. Applying sunscreen is just one of the many precautions we take when playing in the sun. We also try to find clothing with UV protection. With swim lessons upon us, I was searching the web for new suits for the kids. I was thrilled to come across UV Skinz.
UV Skinz was started after the owner lost her 32-year-old husband to melanoma. She was left to raise their 3 young boys by herself. This tragedy gave her the determination to raise awareness about the need for quality sun protection in the form of affordable products that would help families live sun safe!
UV Skinz sent my kids each a combo set for the summer. Logan received the Red Surf Set and Kira received the Purple Cupcakes Set. The kids loved their new suits so much that they insisted on wearing them the moment they came out of the package. I was happy to oblige. It was nice to know that they kids would be safe under the sun at swim lessons…plus they looks super cute. Even the swim coaches noticed their adorable outfits and commented. Having the kids in their new UV Skinz plus Coppertone sunscreen, I knew they would be protected from the harsh UV rays during swim lessons.
UV Skinz is known for…
- 50+ UPF certified fabric (blocks out over 98% of sun’s harmful rays; UPF50+ is woven into the fabric)
- Elastane threading thoughout (allows more stretch)
- Flat-lock stitching (no raised seams to irritate skin)
- Lightweight, breathable construction
- Chlorine-Resistant fabric
What Sets UV Skinz apart? Other companies offer skin tight rash guards, but UV Skinz are swim shirts, uniquely designed to keep you covered, comfortable, cool and fashionable. Our swim shirts differ from the common rash guard by fitting more like a t-shirt and, although tight enough to remain protective, the style allows for a less restrictive and confining feel. Other details include breathable and silky-smooth material, flat-lock stitching throughout the garment and an exclusive name tag in the kids collars to keep track of shirts.