UPCYCLE CANVAS SHOES
Everyone has a pair of old canvas shoes hanging out in their closet. Whether it be an old pair of Vans, Keds, Toms or any other of those popular canvas kicks that are running around. So, what do you do to those shoes when you have worn them out and you just aren’t wearing them anymore? Upcycle and make them new again!
My daughter had a pair of Keds that were painted for a dance performance. They didn’t fit her “style” so they have been sitting in her closet for months.
I asked her if she wanted to help me with an art project and she said YES! Time to play! Like mother like daughter. I asked her to pick and “theme” and she choose “stars.” Easy peasy!
What you need:
- Newspaper – so you don’t paint your table on accident!
- paints – we used tempera
- tooth brush – to splatter the stars
- wet paper towels – for clean up!
- masking or painters tape
- an old pair of canvas shoes
1. Use painters tape or masking tape to cover the bottom plastic portion of the shoe so it doesn’t get paint on it.
2. GO FOR IT! Use your creativity to make a design, pattern, or anything creative you can think of. If you can’t think of anything “cool” then do an image search for “painted canvas shoes” to help you think of something awesome. For Lila’s shoes we sponged and blended blue, pink and purple.
3. When it was dry we used a tooth brush to splatter white dots to look like stars. The result, a starry night!
4. Pull off the tape and show off your new shoes!
More ideas: use sharpie or fabric markers to create an awesome design
Watch this video to see how I made Lila’s new starry night shoes: