As many of you know, we just added a puppy to our family. Captain Shadow is too young to climb through our doggy doors and go out into the kennel, so we decided to paper train him until he gets bigger. The best location to keep him while we are at work is the kitchen…but there is a HUGE opening…and we needed a LARGE gate.
My friends had a retractable gate at the top of their staircase when her children were younger. We thought that would be the perfect solution…so we started searching the web for pet-friendly retractable gates. Luckily, we found Smart Retract (Retract-A-Gate).
Smart Retract is the maker of Retract-A-Gate, Safe Railing Guard, Bow Wow Barrier and accessories. Once we saw the Retract-A-Gate, we knew we needed one for Captain Shadow.
Retract-A-Gate is a retractable safety gate that can be used for children and pets. It’s fairly easy to install (depending on where you put it) and EASY to use. PLUS it stays out of the way when not in use.
Why buy a Retract-A-Gate? Here are some of the unique features and advantages:
- Automatically rewinds to a small roll (no winding by hand…thank goodness)
- Is the only retractable safety gate holding a U.S. Patent
- Was tested to stand up to use by both cats and dogs (though my cats would jump over it without a problem)
- Can be installed diagonally and work at any angle (we have it going straight across the opening to the kitchen)
- Allows you to step through without fully opening (great for when we need to sneak into the kitchen)
- Was designed for both indoor and outdoor use (you can buy other brackets and use in other locations around the house)
- Offers the most durable mesh on the market
- Was engineered for both children and pets
- Is 100% manufactured in the U.S.A.
- Is quiet when opening and closing
- Comes in 52″ or 72″ (Fits larger openings – up to 6 feet)
- Is easily operated with one hand
- Comes in two colors; Café and White
- Has clear mounting brackets (made of the same material as bullet-proof glass…though we had to buy metal hooks due to the tile lip on our counter top. Smart Retract does offer spacers, but we didn’t want to wait.)
- Is manufactured for high traffic areas in your home or business – built to last!
We have been using the Retract-A-Gate for two weeks and have only positive things to say about it. First of all, it’s a tall gate (comes up to my waist). Captain Shadow can’t jump over it…and since it locks, he can’t push under it either. It’s nice that the mesh is see-through, so Captain Shadow can see us when we are coming to get him out. The mesh is strong. Captain Shadow has jumped onto the mesh gate and scratched at it without damaging the gate. The gate is so easy to open, our 4-year-old daughter can open it (we showed her once and she got the hang of it quickly).
We attached the gate in a convenient location, but it still lays out of the way of oncoming traffic. The cafe color works well in our home (actually matches one of our walls).
Retract-A-Gate has been a wonderful tool. We know we will continue to use this gate during Captain Shadow’s puppy faze…and maybe into adulthood (depending on how well he potty trains).
I recommend Retract-A-Gate to all pet owners or families with young children. This gate is perfect!!!
Become a fan of Retract-A-Gate and Smart Retract on Facebook.
Visit their website today –> http://www.smartretract.com
Disclosure: I paid for this gate, but I might be reimbursed after my review is placed on their website.