NUTRISYSTEM DEBUTS ITS ENHANCED NUTRISYSTEM D DIET PLAN SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PEOPLE WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES
Three Clinical Studies Find Nutrisystem® D® Program, in Combination with Counseling, Beneficial for People with Type 2 Diabetes
Program Meets the American Diabetes Association’s® Nutritional Guidelines & Now Includes Certified Diabetes Educators Offering Expert Advice
FORT WASHINGTON, PA, July 12, 2012 – Nutrisystem (NASDAQ: NTRI), a leading provider of weight management products and services, today announced the debut of its enhanced weight management plan for people with diabetes, Nutrisystem D. Nutrisystem D is a home-delivered, portion-controlled, nutritionally balanced weight loss program that is based on the science of the low glycemic index and meets the nutritional guidelines of the American Diabetes Association.* The program is specifically designed to help people with type 2 diabetes effectively lose weight and better manage their blood glucose levels. The basis for the enhanced program includes new clinical findings, a new means of customer access to Certified Diabetes Educators, and a previously announced, expanded relationship as a National Strategic Partner with the American Diabetes Association. *American Diabetes Association: Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2012 (Position Statement). Diabetes Care 35 (suppl.1): S11-S63.
The Importance of Addressing Diabetes
– Today about 26 million people – roughly 10% of the U.S. adult population – have diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association; on average, there is a new case of diabetes diagnosed in the U.S. every 17 seconds.
– Another 79 million adults over the age of 30 have pre-diabetes, meaning they are at high risk for developing the disease. The disease kills more Americans than breast cancer and HIV combined, and is a major driver of preventable healthcare costs.
– Several independent studies, including the NIH multicenter study known as Look AHEAD (Action for HEAlth in Diabetes), have shown that losing as little as 5%-10% of body weight can slow the progression of type 2 diabetes, help people improve their glucose, blood pressure and more, and take fewer related costly medications. Being overweight also adds to the risk of medical complications and premature death for those with the disease.
Three separate clinical trials have examined the effects of Nutrisystem D among overweight people with type 2 diabetes. The first two studies showed that those using Nutrisystem D, in combination with counseling sessions, achieved significantly greater reductions in body weight and A1C (a 90-day measure of blood glucose control), than participants who were assigned to control interventions. Aggregating data from both studies, participants who received the Nutrisystem D intervention lost an average of 18 pounds and reduced A1C by an average of 0.7% at 6 months. Certain improvements in accompanying metabolic risk factors, such as waist circumference, cholesterol, triglycerides, and systolic blood pressure, also were noted.
”Weight loss brings impressive improvement in the control of diabetes,” says Dr. Gary Foster, Director of the Center for Obesity Research and Education at Temple University School of Medicine, Chair of Nutrisystem’s Scientific Advisory Board and head of the research team for Nutrisystem’s first clinical trial. “A structured plan empowers overweight people with type 2 diabetes to transition from feeling overwhelmed by meal planning to instead making appropriate food choices that can have a positive impact on weight loss and blood glucose.”
A third study, which used continuous glucose monitoring, compared glycemic control and variability during consumption of Nutrisystem D and participants’ usual diets. While consuming Nutrisystem D, participants had lower average blood glucose and less variability. Glycemic variability – or fluctuations in blood sugar levels – is an independent risk factor that can contribute to complications of diabetes.
Anthony Fabricatore, Ph.D., Senior Director of Research and Development at Nutrisystem and the lead author of the study, said, “These findings are very encouraging, because the reduction in variability was noticeable even before significant weight loss. Also participants had fewer occurrences of high blood glucose without a significant increase in low blood glucose values.”
Click here to view the study abstract. This study was presented at the 2012 Scientific Sessions of the American Diabetes Association.
Nutrisystem D, in combination with counseling, has been clinically proven to be effective in people with type 2 diabetes, but it is also designed to be appropriate for overweight patients with type 1 diabetes or for those at risk for diabetes.
Nutrisystem D Adds Access to Diabetes Educators
As part of the enhanced plan, Nutrisystem D has now added Certified Diabetes Educators to its staff of nutritional counselors, providing easy access for Nutrisystem D customers and potential customers to diabetes experts who can address consumers’ questions including those about use of the program to lose weight and help manage their blood glucose.
Nutrisystem D Meets the American Diabetes Association’s Nutritional Guidelines
Nutrisystem D meets the nutritional guidelines established by the American Diabetes Association for people with diabetes. Nutrisystem recently confirmed their support of the American Diabetes Association at the National Strategic Partner level and will work to help the Association with its mission related activities of creating awareness and providing educational tools. As part of the company’s sponsorship, the Association is offering discounted pricing for Nutrisystem D as a new benefit to its members.
”Type 2 diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions in the United States, but it is a disease that is often preventable with a lifestyle-based approach – better eating habits, regular physical activity, and better tools to self-monitor and self-manage the risks,” said Dr. Bruce Daggy, Chief Science Officer at Nutrisystem. “Likewise, lifestyle approaches are key to improving outcomes for those with the disease itself. To help battle this epidemic, we’ve spent years developing, improving and testing Nutrisystem D. We know that being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes can be traumatic, and changing a lifetime of habits can be difficult. That’s why we’ve worked so hard to make Nutrisystem D simple and easy to follow.”
Nutrisystem D Program Overview
- A wide selection of more than 130 nutritionally balanced, portion-controlled entrees and snacks, delivered directly to customers’ homes with customizable menus.
- The program provides access to Registered Dietitians, Counselors and Certified Diabetes Educators, as well as behavior modification materials developed by a leading expert in weight loss treatment, online tools for tracking progress, and online support communities, all at no extra cost.
- The program also includes My Daily 3, a Nutrisystem-developed approach to physical activity based on the actions of daily living. Nutrisystem membership is free and doesn’t require members to visit centers, participate in group weigh-ins, count carbohydrates or calories.
- Nutrisystem is cost effective and provides savings of hundreds of dollars compared to other home delivery weight loss options. Food delivery is free of charge for customers enrolled in auto-delivery.
- Some insurance providers may cover, or contribute to, the cost of the program. See: Nutrisystem Health Insurance Reimbursement Forms.
More information, including patient testimonials and images, can be found in the Nutrisystem D News & Information Center Area at www.nutrisystem.com/hcpnews.
To order the Nutrisystem D program and other Nutrisystem® products, please visit www.nutrisystem.com/success4u or by calling 1-888-841-2572.
Having helped Americans lose millions of pounds over the last 40 years, Nutrisystem, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTRI) develops evidence-based programs for healthy weight management, and is the leading provider of home-delivered weight loss meal plans. Nutrisystem offers balanced nutrition in the form of low glycemic index meal plans designed for men and women, including seniors, vegetarians and the Nutrisystem® D® program for people with diabetes or at risk for type 2 diabetes. Nutrisystem® plans include a wide variety of pantry and fresh-frozen entrees and snacks to aid in program satisfaction and adherence, as well as transition plans to support long-term success. The Fort Washington, PA-based company also provides weight management support and counseling by trained weight-loss coaches and registered dietitians, as well as through an engaged online community, online tools and trackers, mobile apps, cookbooks and more. Healthcare professionals may learn more about the programs by visiting www.nutrisystem.com/hcp. Nutrisystem® weight loss plans are available directly to consumers through www.nutrisystem.com, by phone (1-800-435-4074) and at select retailers. The Company has also introduced a new in-store retail line, Nutrisystem® EverydayTM products, comprised of nutritionally balanced bars, smoothies, bakery and breakfast items aimed at consumers who aspire to eat healthier.
Join today by calling 1-888-853-4689
or by visiting http://www.nutrisystem.com/nsblog
Disclosure: I am a Nutrisystem Blogger. Products & support have been offered to me in exchange for blogging about my experiences. The thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I received no other form of compensation for my review, nor was I under any obligation to give a positive review.