Day #3: Cranberry-Chicken-Walnut Salad
Today my husband and I enjoyed our second Mason Jar Salad. To be as unbiased and honest as possible we decided to try the Cranberry-Chicken-Walnut Salad…one with dressing in the jar and one without.
- 2 tbsp of Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette (you can add to jar as your bottom layer or at the time you open the jar to eat your salad)
- 1/4 cup of shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup of sprouts (or just a handful…I didn’t measure, I just grabbed a handful and evenly distributed one package up into the 12 jars)
- 1 cup romaine lettuce (Give or take…again, I didn’t use a measuring cup. I just grabbed a handful and tried to place the lettuce in the jars evenly.)
- 1/8-1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 cup of iceberg lettuce
- feta cheese & walnuts (add as much as you like…I used one container of feta cheese and divided it equally into 8 of the 12 jars)
This salad did settle a little over the past 3 days. I probably could have easily added more lettuce, but after pouring it out of the jar it was the perfect serving.
I noticed the chicken had soaked up quite a bit of the dressing, so I poured the jar into a bowl to see if I needed to add more dressing. Surprisingly, there was still enough dressing to lightly coat the lettuce. (See the photo below to see how the white chicken absorbed the dressing and turned pink.)
Everything was still crisp and fresh. Again, due to the condensation that was build up within the jars, the walnuts were softer than I would have liked (so I just added a few extra on to of each salad).
The jar without the dressing was very fresh. I added the dressing and asked my husband to take a bit of each salad. He couldn’t taste a difference. Personally, I felt the dressing added to the jar ahead of time allowed the chicken to marinate and really pull off a delicious taste (so much better than bland chicken).
This salad is approximately 274 calories.
Overall impression, so far I am very pleased with these salads. They are quick and healthy. A perfect lunch for any salad lover.