hello! SkinnyJeans® showed its first pair of slimming blue jeans at a trade show in New York in 2006 to address a gaping need in the market– there were plenty of great, vintage, well-branded, fashionable etc.etc.etc. premium jeans on the market but there were no jeans designed to make you look thinner. For example, aged or vintage jeans had big white areas on the thighs and butt which was so unflattering, and whisker patterns that actually made your hips look wider. The available denim was never stretchy, girdling or comfortable enough and always bagged-out by the end of the day. No one seemed to be taking advantage of the fading characteristics of denim to make jeans more flattering on the body. Also, sizing of premium denim was completely cookie cutter- size 24 to 32 in one length and that was that. There had to be a other girls like me running around out there who were not cookie cutter sizes/lengths and who wanted their jeans to make them look better, not worse, so I got to work and started hello! SkinnyJeans®.
hello! SkinnyJeans® are cut, sewn and washed in the U.S. in the best sewing facilities and laundries in Los Angeles (it is sooo interesting to see how jeans are washed!). Our office is in New York but we’re in LA all the time and our production manager is the best in the business. I am a recovering lawyer (recovering as in not practicing anymore and I try to stay away from it) with absolutely no fashion background. I wanted to make jeans the way I wanted and I didn’t know or care how everyone else made jeans–I didn’t like the styling or the way everyone seemed to be doing the same wash anyway. I remember getting ready to go to a party in the Hamptons wearing an expensive premium jean and I looked at them, thinking, man I could do such a much better job than this!!! Instead of just forgetting it i decided to do something about it.
- SkinnyJeans® are made from classic denim, but with a high nylon/elastane content.
- The thighs are very ‘scooped’ out, which drastically separates and slims the thighs and pushes the butt out creating a shapely silhouette. (If you have thicker thighs like me, please beware that they might pull the jeans down…so you may need to order the next size up. Make sure you talk to customer service.)
- The inseams are drawn forward on the leg making it appear that there is less ‘real estate’ on the front of the leg.
- The inside non-stretch cotton pocketing lining the front pockets is sewn into the front seam – creating a restraining panel that holds the tummy in!
- The fading and shading pattern on the jeans creates an optical illusion front and back to slim the leg.
- The cut is a ‘barely-bootcut’ – this balances the shape of the thigh to the ankle making your thighs appear as slim as possible, and legs as long as possible.
- The size, shape, and placement of the pockets are solely to make the butt appear smaller and shapelier.
- SkinnyJeans® have a medium rise with contoured stretch waistband – no muffin-top spillover, no plumber’s cleavage, no previously nonexistent potbelly! (I still have a muffin-top…but that’s fat, and it’s going to disappear SOON!)
- The high-waters have receded — SkinnyJeans® come in inseams to 37″!! And because the design is so slimming, we make SkinnyJeans® in sizes 23-34 and 36, and 38. (The SkinnyP’s are just the right length for flip flops, shoes or heels! LOVE THE LENGTH!)