Last week I asked my friends and family if they would like to share their favorite recipes on my blog. My sister reminded me of a delicious chocolate chip cupcake recipe her friend (Annemarie) gave her. This is no ordinary recipe…it comes with a story as to why it’s a dairy-free, egg-free, vegan recipe.
A Cupcake Story
I am a dessert-first girl. I LOVE my sweets so today we’re talking cupcakes—actually, one special cupcake. For the better part of the last 10 years I had been on a quest, a cupcake quest. You see, my two boys have food allergies. My 7-year-old, Benjie, is allergic to peanuts. Josh, who’s 10, has multiple food allergies. His toughest allergies are to dairy (milk, cheese, butter, etc.), eggs, and all nuts. Pretty much everything I bake is dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free. From the beginning, birthday parties were challenging. Josh can (almost) never eat the birthday cake, so it was up to me to find a replacement. I started experimenting on cake recipes when he was 1. In the beginning he seemed okay with the bland vanilla cupcakes I made, but I wanted more. I wanted him to jump up and down when he heard, “It’s cake time!” I wanted his cake to be as yummy as the one that held the candles. I went back to my kitchen and tried again, and again. When I’d find a cake recipe that showed promise, I would make my allergy-friendly substitutions—rice milk for milk, vegan Egg Replacer for eggs, Spectrum Shortening or Earth Balance for butter. The cakes were all “just okay” and Josh could take them or leave them. I gave up for a while. (You can read the rest of Annamarie’s story at Me, Myself & Riggins.)
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKES
- 1½ cups flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1¼ cups sugar*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup soymilk (or water, or any milk of your choice)
- ½ cup Enjoy Life dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl and stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until you get a smooth batter. Do not beat.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin liners about ⅔ full.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
*This cupcake tends to be super sweet, especially if you add frosting. If your palate doesn’t like things too sugary, feel free to reduce the amount of sugar or ease up on the frosting
Vanilla Frosting – Adapted from The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook by Cybele Pascal
- ½ cup dairy-free vegetable shortening**
- ½ cup (1 stick) dairy-free margarine, softened**
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup rice milk, or whatever milk you like
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the shortening and margarine on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Pipe onto cool cupcakes and finish with extra chocolate chips.
**Annemarie used Spectrum Organic Vegetable Shortening and Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for the shortening and margarine respectively. If you like, you can use all shortening or all margarine.
Would you like your recipe featured on the Giveaway Train???? Email me your recipe and a photo of the final product to email@example.com!